Israel Folau’s GoFundMe Has Already Raised A Ridiculous Amount Of Money
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- “It’s A Cool Subplot” – Conor Murray Looking Forward To Facing Pal Simon Zebo This Weekend - November 19, 2019
- Saracens Handed Yet Another Fine – This Time By The EPCR - November 19, 2019
- Potential Double Fitness Boost For Munster Ahead Of Crucial Clash With Racing 92 - November 19, 2019
Sacked former Wallabies fullback Israel Folau launched a GoFundMe page this week in a bid to raise $3 million to pay for his legal costs as he prepares to launch a case against his former employers Rugby Australia.
Folau had his $4 million contract ripped up last month following a disciplinary hearing with the governing body, after he was found guilt of a “high-level breach” over a homophobic post on social media.
The 30-year-old has come under heavy criticism for the fundraiser with former teammate Drew Mitchell branding him “greedy”, citing several other fundraisers for sick children on the site that need the funds a lot more than the millionaire player.
But it appears Folau has plenty of backers nonetheless. In two days the Australian has already raised almost $500,000 ($446k) from over 5,500 backers on the fundraising site.
At this rate it looks like he could very well reach his target – whether we like it or not.
Compare the pair. One is a rugby player who's had his career cruelly ended and is now fighting for his life – the other is Israel Folau.
– 325k to try and walk again vs 3 mil to fight for a 10 mil payout
– 1,670 donations in 7 months vs 2,093 in less than a day
Society's choices pic.twitter.com/KpE1rkysYw
— Sam Clayton (@samclayton58) June 21, 2019