Six Nations Enters Into Exclusive Discussions To Share Broadcast Rights
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- Champions Cup Last 16 Extra Time Protocol & Quarter-Final Permutations - April 15, 2022
- Legendary Ireland International Announces His Retirement Fro Rugby - April 8, 2022
- Ronan O’Gara Slapped By Fellow Top 14 Coach In Heated Touchline Row - April 6, 2022
Six Nations Rugby today confirmed that it has entered into exclusive discussions with BBC and ITV after an agreement in principle was reached relating to all three Six Nations Championships (Men’s Guinness Six Nations, Women’s Six Nations and Men’s Under-20’s).
Fans will continue to enjoy widespread coverage of Rugby’s Greatest Championships throughout the United Kingdom due to an enhanced agreement between Six Nations Rugby and the two broadcasters, who have worked together since 2016.
The agreement has a four-year term starting in 2022 and ending after the 2025 Championships.
Subject to contract it is envisaged that all three Championships will be shared in the following manner:
– For the Men’s Guinness Six Nations Championship, ITV will show all of England, Ireland, Italian and French home matches, while BBC will broadcast all of Scotland and Wales’ home matches.
– The Women’s Six Nations, will be broadcast exclusively on the BBC with unprecedented broadcast investment.
– In addition, the stars of tomorrow will get to showcase their skills with coverage of the Men’s Under-20’s Championship also being shown on the BBC.
Commenting on the partnership, Ben Morel, Chief Executive Officer of Six Nations Rugby said:
“This is exciting news for fans and for our Championships. Both BBC and ITV have been excellent partners in recent years playing an important role in sharing the incredible moments that the Six Nations always produces, and celebrating the special place our Championships hold in the hearts of fans.”
Rugby’s Six Nations championship will remain live on “free-to-air” TV in Ireland also after a similar deal, in principle, between RTÉ, Virgin Media and Six Nations Rugby was reached earlier in the month.