Simon Zebo Opens Up About Ireland Omission & Joe Schmidt’s “Rigid Structure”
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- Here’s The British & Irish Lions Team We’d Like To See Take On The Springboks In The Second Test - July 26, 2021
- “He Seemed To Be Alright?” – Vunipola Responds To Erasmus Calling Him Out Over Kolbe Incident - July 26, 2021
- Warren Gatland’s Comments About Jack Conan Might Make Some People See Sense - July 26, 2021
Simon Zebo has spoken out for the first time in depth regarding his Ireland exclusion during last year’s November series, and his international future going forward.
The Munster star says it was unfortunate that he was left out, but feels he should be considered for inclusion in Ireland’s upcoming Six Nations squad.
Speaking to L’Equipe in France ahead of Munster’s clash this weekend with his future employers Racing 92, Zebo says he cannot understand why there would be one rule for others and another for him.
“It’s unfortunate [November exclusion] but that’s the way it is,” Zebo said.
“There were players in this situation before me and they continued to be called up for Ireland.
“I would not understand if there’s one rule for the others and another for me. I’m fully eligible because I’m a Munster player until June. I hope I’ll be called up for the Six Nations.”
The Corkman also made no secret of his preference for club rugby over the regimental Test environment.
“I said to him that I couldn’t play in such a rigid structure. I can’t play like that”
“With Munster, I’m free to try things, to play the moves that I see. I don’t have any shackles.
“Joe is a super coach who has had great success with Ireland. We already talked about it face-to-face. I said to him that I couldn’t play in such a rigid structure. I can’t play like that.
“Winning is important but for me it’s also important to do it in a certain way. But if you ask me to pick between losing in style or winning ugly, I’d choose the second option.”
What do you think? Should Zebo be selected? Will he be selected by Schmidt?