Saracens Release Statement Following Reports They Are Resigned To Relegation
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- The Circumstances Surrounding Christophe Dominici’s Death Make For Difficult Reading - November 24, 2020
- Legendary Former France International “Suddenly” Passes Away At Just 48 - November 24, 2020
- Munster Made History With Their Bonus-Point Win Over Glasgow Last Night - November 24, 2020
Saracens chief executive Ed Griffiths has revealed the club with to do “whatever is reasonably required” to draw the line in terms of their ongoing salary cap fiasco that has sent shockwaves through English rugby once again this week.
The club was fined in excess of £5 million pounds and docked 35 points last year after an investigation found they had gone over the salary cap in each of the last three seasons.
But with Saracens now seemingly unable to comply once again this season – a further 35 point reduction is now expected which will result in their certain relegation from the Premiership.
Griffiths says discussions are ongoing as the biggest story in the history of club rugby continues.
“Discussions are continuing and nothing has been finalised but our position remains the same,” Griffiths said in a statement issued to the PA news agency.
“It is clearly in the interests of the league and English rugby that this matter is dealt with as soon as possible and we are prepared to do whatever is reasonably required to draw that line.”
Premiership Rugby has yet to comment since reports of Saracens facing automatic relegation broke on Thursday evening.
If Saracens are relegated, they will not be able to play in Europe for at least two seasons.