PRO14 Side Announce “Ground-Breaking” Partnership with French Giants Toulon
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- Munster Captain Peter O’Mahony Has His Say On Possible Damien De Allende & RG Synman Deals - November 13, 2019
- Warren Gatland Names Three Players He’s Considering As Lions 2021 Captain - November 13, 2019
- Munster, Leinster & Connacht All Make Changes To Their Champions Cup Squads - November 13, 2019
PRO14 side the Southern Kings have agreed on a “memorandum of understanding” with French giants Toulon, in a move that will see a close working relationship between the two sides.
Kings’ Deputy Chairman, Rory Stear, and Chief Operations Officer, Charl Crous, travelled to France this week where they met Toulon President, Mourad Boudjellal, to conclude an agreement which will see an immediate close working relationship between the South African franchise and French club.
The “ground-breaking partnership” with the three-time European champions, “further illustrates the ambitious intent of the Isuzu Southern Kings’ new owners, the GRC, to turn the Port Elizabeth-based franchise into a force to be reckoned with globally.” a statement read.
Part of the memorandum of understanding between the two teams includes:
- Sharing of resources between the two sides,
- An exchange programme between the coaching staff of both teams,
- The sharing of player resources,
- Commercial opportunities,
- Youth development through both teams’ rugby academies, and
- Fixtures between the two sides.
“This is an amazing opportunity for the Isuzu Southern Kings to twin with a renowned club such as Toulon – an iconic club in the world,” Isuzu Southern Kings Deputy Chairman, Rory Stear, said.
“Toulon is a club that has had a good South African link with great Springboks like Bryan Habana, Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield, Juandre Kruger, Jacques Potgieter and Marcel van der Merwe playing for them. While other world greats like Johnny Wilkinson and currently Julian Sevea playing for them.
“This is an exciting partnership that will see us ensure that we are on track with our determination to make the Isuzu Southern Kings a world force, just like Toulon.
“We are excited and looking forward to a long and fruitful relationship with Toulon.”