Joe Schmidt On The Appeal Wales Have Made To The Six Nations Ahead Of Their Clash
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- Everyone Is Talking About This Truly Bizarre England Rugby World Cup Promo - September 19, 2019
- Ireland Set To Make 5 Changes For Scotland Game Including A Surprise Selection - September 19, 2019
- All Blacks Boss Hansen Not Happy With Springboks – “It’s Pretty Obvious What They’re Trying To Do,” - September 19, 2019
Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt has revealed Wales have made a direct appeal to the Six Nations that the roof is closed for their game at the Principality Stadium this weekend.
Six Nations regulations state that the away side gets the discretion and has to inform Wales of their decision more than 24 hours before kick-off. Wales’ default position is to always leave the roof closed for home matches.
Schmidt didn’t reveal Ireland’s official stance was on the roof being closed or not, but hinted they want it open after Wales played a few tricks on them the last time round with the sprinklers.
“There’s been a request go in [by Wales] to the Six Nations that it be closed” he said.
“For us I think the last time it was closed we arrived there and there was a lot said about making it good for spectators – and the sprinklers were on for 30 minutes and the ground was very, very damp before the game started.
“So that probably enters into our minds about which closed it it gonna be? Is it gonna be closed and wet? Or is it gonna be closed and dry? If it’s closed and wet we might as well have the window open and let the rain come in.”
So will the roof of the Principality be closed or not this weekend?
“At the moment I’m not sure about the roof. For us – last time we said ‘look we don’t mind, you choose’ – and they chose closed but made the field incredibly wet at the start of the game.” Schmidt said
“So we will probably be happy enough if it’s open anyway. We’ll adapt to whatever conditions the game’s played in. And if the Six Nations decide it’s going to be closed – it’ll be closed and we’ll play in those conditions. And if they decide that it will be open then we’ll play in those conditions.”
“It’s pretty clear – they’ve made an appeal to the Six Nations, we’re part of the Six Nations, we have to see what they decide now.”