Ireland international announces shock retirement from all rugby
Latest posts by Will Matthews (see all)
- South African fans blasted for treatment of Owen Farrell in Champions Cup - December 10, 2023
- Joe Marler on why Owen Farrell has stepped away from England - December 6, 2023
- France star scores one of the most bizarre tries you will ever see in rugby - December 5, 2023
End of the road.
Munster and Ireland winger Andrew Conway has today confirmed that he will retire from professional rugby with immediate effect.
Conway bows out after an outstanding career that saw him line out for Munster on 150 occasions, scoring 50 tries to become the southern province’s third-highest try-scorer of all time.
He also scored 15 tries in his 30 Ireland caps, won a Triple Crown, and featured in the 2019 Rugby World Cup. He finished the competition as Ireland’s top try-scorer with three tries in as many appearances.
After missing all of last season due to a knee injury, Conway played his 150th and final game for Munster at Thomond Park against the Sharks in the URC last month. Fittingly, one of his final acts in a Munster jersey was to score the bonus-point try – his 50th for the province.
Munster Head Coach Graham Rowntree said:
“Andy is a hugely respected and popular member of the squad and has been a fantastic player for Munster Rugby over the last ten years.
“Along with being outstanding on the field, he is such an important part of the group off the field and a person who contributed so much to this province.
“He was a huge fans’ favourite and just an incredibly talented player who you could always rely on.
“He worked tirelessly to get back playing and I was delighted to see him score his 50th Munster try on his 150th appearance against Sharks last month.
“A brilliant professional, he has been a pleasure to work with and I know he is going to go on and enjoy more success in whatever he chooses to do next.”
Conway released a lengthy statement which you can read in full here, with a snippet below.
“Unfortunately, I have been advised to retire from professional rugby because of a knee injury,” Conway said.
“An incredible amount of work has been put in by the Munster and IRFU medics to get me back and I can’t thank you all enough for your commitment. Thank you to all the backroom staff I’ve been lucky enough to cross paths and work with over the years. You know who you are.
“A special mention to Damien Mordan, Keith Fox, Dr. Jamie Kearns and Dr. Ciaran Cosgrave for your care and support through the years. Thank you to Rugby Players Ireland and my agents for your guidance in the past and into the future.”