Former England Captain Lawrence Dallaglio Names His British & Irish Lions XV For 2021
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- The Up & Under Podcast – Episode 7 Featuring Tadhg Beirne, Jamie Heaslip, Stuart Lancaster & Johann van Graan - October 1, 2020
- The Champions Cup Final Could Be In Big Trouble Following Latest Outbreak - October 1, 2020
- “All Teams Are Back To Zero Points.” – Johann Van Graan Outlines Munster’s Ambitions For This Season - October 1, 2020
Former England captain Lawrence Dallaglio has had a go at picking his British and Irish Lions XV for next year – and not too many Irish players have managed to make his selection.
Tadhg Furlong and James Ryan are the only definite names on his list with Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose also named as possible starters with Jonathan Davies and Manu Tuilagi their biggest competition.
Elsewhere he has named Maro Itoje as his captain in a team that is heavily balanced in favour of England with Anthony Watson, Jamie George, Courtney Lawes and Tom Curry also among those named.
Interestingly despite being one of the favourites for the captaincy, Alun Wyn Jones fails to make the former number eight’s selection. Speaking on The Ruck Podcast on The Times website, Dallaglio said the northern hemisphere is pretty blessed in terms of second-row options.
“Clearly the northern hemisphere is packed with wonderful second-row options.
“England alone has always had a galaxy of those types of players.
“Obviously we know with distinction the great Alun Wyn Jones has led previous Lions tours. But really, Maro Itoje is in one shirt I would say. Possibly with the skipper’s armband on, given the powerful antidote that would be to Siya Kolisi’s style of captaincy.
“And then even though he didn’t have his best Six Nations, James Ryan is a real leader of this Ireland side for the next three or four years moving forward.
“I think Itoje has just been so good in his position and let’s be honest whoever plays in the second row for the Lions is going to have a massive job on his hands against their opposite numbers.
“That battle will go a long way to winning the series quite frankly.”
Lawrence Dallaglio’s Lions XV
15. Liam Williams (Wales)
14. Josh Adams (Wales)
13. Garry Ringrose (Ireland) or Jonathan Davies (Wales)
12. Robbie Henshaw (Ireland) or Manu Tuilagi (England)
11. Anthony Watson (England)
10. Owen Farrell (England)
9. Tomos Williams (Wales)
1. Joe Marler (England) or Rory Sutherland (Scotland) or Mako Vunipola (England),
2. Jamie George (England)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)
4. Maro Itoje (England, capt)
5. James Ryan (Ireland)
6. Courtney Lawes (England)
7. Tom Curry (England)
8. Taulupe Faletau (Wales)