England star ‘tasered twice and arrested’ in violent incident


England star Billy Vunipola was “tasered twice” and arrested following a violent incident in a bar in Majorca in the early hours of Sunday morning.

According to the Guardian, Vunipola was arrested in Epic bar in Palma after the England rugby international took off his shirt and began threatening customers and employees with bottles and chairs.

According to Spanish police, the 20 stone Saracens and England number eight was then said to have been tasered after assaulting an officer. He was then taken to nearby Son Espases Hospital.

Vunipola issued a statement on Monday confirming the incident and apologising “for any inconvenience to all involved.”

“I can confirm I was involved in an unfortunate misunderstanding when I was leaving a club in Majorca on Sunday, which got out of hand,” he said.

“Contrary to media reports there was no violence, no fight and I did not threaten anybody at any stage, with bottles or chairs or anything else. I was charged with resisting the law and, following an ‘express trial’, I have paid a fine of €240.

“The Spanish police investigation is now closed and I am flying back to the UK today. I will obviously co-operate with the Saracens internal process and unreservedly apologise for any inconvenience to all involved.”

A spokesman for the National Police in Majorca said:

“In the early hours of yesterday morning, at 4.30am, we arrested a 31-year-old foreign man on suspicion of a crime of disobedience and assaulting a police officer. The events took place in a leisure establishment on the seafront in Palma, when a man was causing altercations inside the establishment.

“The man would not listen to reason and confronted the rest of the customers, and the security staff were unable to restrain him or remove him from the premises. The police were alerted and the officers, on seeing the man, who was shirtless and making gestures with his hands, cleared the premises.

“It was then that he confronted the police and attempted to assault the officers. The police officers tried at all times to get him to calm down, but the man would not listen to reason. At that moment, the man pushed and slapped an officer and a policeman pulled out his electric stun gun and fired a first time although the gun didn’t discharge.

“A second projectile was then fired, which did the job, and it was then that the officers jumped on him and proceeded to immobilise him by shackling him, later taking him to Son Espases hospital for assessment and arrest.”

Follow Me