Damian de Allende On What Caused Fire Pit Accident That Burned Four Munster Players

Disaster.

Springboks centre Damian de Allende has revealed that the fire pit accident that injured four Munster players over the weekend, including himself, resulted when “one of the guys decided to pour petrol on the fire.”

Munster released a statement yesterday revealing that De Allende, RG Snyman, CJ Stander and Mike Haley were injured in the bizarre accident in the weekend with the two Springboks the worst affected.

A very special British & Irish Lions House of Rugby show – fronted by Sean O'Brien and Alex Goode – is available now and will run for the duration of the tour. Follow and subscribe to it HERE

Stander and Haley “sustained burns to their hands” and “may” return to training this week but de Allende and Snyman suffered “more substantial burns to legs, hands and face” and will require specialist treatment.

The players were rushed to hospital but thankfully the burns were not as bad as initially feared.

“We were just sitting around the fire and one of the boys threw a bit of petrol over the fire and then it caught his hand and he just tried to put it down on the floor and then the whole thing caught alight and exploded,” De Allende told SuperSport.

De Allende admitted it could have “been a lot worse” and expects to be back fit in a few weeks.

“Yeah, that’s what we’ve been saying, they thought it was a lot worse when we went into the hospital on Saturday night but when we saw the specialist on Sunday he said it wasn’t as bad as they got told,” De Allende added.

“We should be okay in a few weeks hopefully.”