British & Irish Lions Set To Play Match On Home Soil Before Flying Out To South Africa
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
The British and Irish Lions are set to play on home soil for the first time since 2005 when they take on Japan in Murrayfield next year before flying out for their tour of South Africa.
According to the Telegraph, the famous touring side will take on the Brave Blossoms at the home of Scottish Rugby on June 26 of next year with the RFU reportedly not making Twickenham available.
The Lions will play eight matches in South Africa with the fixture against Japan set to be their first match on home soil since they took on Argentina in Cardiff back in 2005.
Warren Gatland’s side will play the world champion Springboks in a three-Test series next year and will also have games against a number of South African franchises including the Bulls, the Stormers and the Sharks.
British and Irish Lions Tour Schedule 2021
- Friday 26 June 2021: British & Irish Lions v Japan – Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh (TBC)
- Saturday 3 July 2021: British & Irish Lions v DHL Stormers – Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town
- Wednesday 7 July 2021: British & Irish Lions v South Africa Invitational – Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth
- Saturday 10 July 2021: British & Irish Lions v Cell C Sharks – Jonsson Kings Park, Durban
- Wednesday 14 July 2021: British & Irish Lions v South Africa ‘A’ – Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
- Saturday 17 July 2021: British & Irish Lions v Vodacom Bulls – Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
- Saturday 24 July 2021 (First Test): Springboks v British & Irish Lions – FNB Stadium, Johannesburg
- Saturday 31 July 2021 (Second Test): Springboks v British & Irish Lions – Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town
- Saturday 7 August 2021 (Third Test): Springboks v British & Irish Lions – Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg