Andrew Porter “Absolutely Heartbroken” Following Devastating Lions Withdrawal

“I’ll Rise Again.”

Leinster and Ireland prop Andrew Porter says he is “absolutely heartbroken” after he was forced to withdraw from the British and Irish Lions squad this summer after suffering a toe injury last week.

Porter was injured while playing for Leinster in the PRO14 last Friday and has since been replaced in the squad by England and Bristol Bears tighthead prop, Kyle Sinckler.

A very special British & Irish Lions House of Rugby show – fronted by Sean O'Brien and Alex Goode – is available now and will run for the duration of the tour. Follow and subscribe to it HERE

The 25-year-old said playing for the Lions is something he “dreamed of” since he starting playing rugby as a kid but is not excited to get stuck into his rehab as he looks to get back fit in time for next season.

Writing on Instagram, Porter said:

“Absolutely heartbroken that I’m out of the British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa. Something I dreamed of since I started playing rugby as a kid, now taken away.

“On the other hand, I’m excited to get stuck into my rehab and recovery, and I’m counting down the days til I’ll be back on the pitch again. It’s a challenge I’m really looking forward to overcoming both physically and mentally, and I know it will make me a better player and person on the other side.

“I’d like to thank my family, my girlfriend and all of my friends for their support in this tough time for me. I’d also like to thank everyone for their kind messages over the last few days.

“I’ll Rise Again.”

We wish him all the best in his recovery.