The Top 20 Best Rugby Players In The World Have Just Been Named
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- Uncapped Player Set For Ireland Call-Up Following Injury Concern - January 30, 2023
- Shocking High Tackle Not Picked Up By Match Officials In Munster Vs Toulouse Game - January 23, 2023
- Eben Etzebeth Has Caterpillar Ruck Haters Swooning With Genius Try - January 21, 2023
Not an Irish player to be seen.
Rugby World are back with their bi-annual list of the best rugby players in the world with not a single Ireland international managing to feature in their Top 20.
French scrumhalf Antoine Dupont is top of the list with New Zealand’s Ardie Savea in second and England’s Maro Itoje third. In total, there are five All Blacks, three Springboks, three English players, two Wallabies, a Scot and a Welshman in the Top 20.
How the likes of Tadhg Furlong and Robbie Henshaw haven’t made the Top 20 is crazy.
The selection panel included Rugby World columnist Stephen Jones, Wasps Women director of rugby Giselle Mather, Chris Jones from the BBC, Welsh broadcaster Lauren Jenkins, and Sportsbeat’s Paul Eddison.
Rugby World’s Top 20
1. Antoine Dupont (France)
2. Ardie Savea (New Zealand)
3. Maro Itoje (England)
4. Michael Hooper (Australia)
5. Taniela Tupou (Australia)
6. Aaron Smith (New Zealand)
7. Lukhanyo Am (South Africa)
8. Cheslin Kolbe (South Africa)
9. Tom Curry (England)
10. Sam Whitelock (New Zealand)
11. Abby Dow (England Women)
12. Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)
13. Rose Bernadou (France Women)
14. Beauden Barrett (New Zealand)
15. Richie Mo’unga (New Zealand)
16. Jerry Tuwai (Fiji Sevens)
17. Eben Etzebeth (South Africa)
18. Hamish Watson (Scotland)
19. Courtney Lawes (England)
20. Josh Adams (Wales)
*The full Top 100 list is in the latest Rugby World magazine