Simon Zebo Says He Is Open To Returning To Ireland If Andy Farrell Gives Him A Call
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
Former Munster fullback Simon Zebo says he is open to returning to the Ireland set-up if new boss Andy Farrell decides to give him a call.
Zebo was frozen out of the Irish set-up by Joe Schmidt two years as soon as his move to Racing 92 was announced, with the former head coach unwilling to call up players that are plying their trade outside of Ireland.
So far only Johnny Sexton has been the exception to the rule but Zebo says if Andy Farrell decides to take a different view and calls him up – he will look at coming back and being available for selection.
But if nothing comes of it, Zebo says he is happy in France.
“As for where I stand now Joe has departed, I haven’t been in contact with anyone in the Irish setup really. Our season at Racing is just getting into gear and the World Cup will be fresh in everyone’s mind there,” Zebo said in his Paddy Power column
“If something happens in the future, great. If it doesn’t, it’s not the end of the world – I’m happy playing my rugby here in France.
“But I have a very good relationship with Andy. He might have a different view on players playing abroad than Joe and if he decides to give me a call I would, of course, look at coming back and being available for selection.
“It’ll be interesting to see but for the moment I’m just enjoying my rugby and my life over here.”
What do you think? Should Farrell bend the ‘unwritten rule’ and get Zebo back into the Irish set-up with a view to luring him home next season? No doubt Munster fans would love to see that because we can’t see him playing for any other province if he did come back.
“I remember slagging Simon Zebo in the past about how the Schmidt era didn’t really fit with [him],”https://t.co/tR2LECH64z
— RugbyLAD (@RugbyLAD7) October 24, 2019