Nigel Owens Names His Dream XV Of Players He Has Refereed
Latest posts by Will Matthews (see all)
- Garry Ringrose brings Bundee Aki to ‘tears’ with lovely comments about his teammate - September 21, 2023
- Owen Farrell returns as England team named for Chile game - September 21, 2023
- Ireland boss Andy Farrell pokes fun at South Africa’s 7-1 bench split - September 21, 2023
What a team.
Nigel Owens is the most capped referee in World Rugby history and has taken charge of some of the biggest games the sport has to offer. As a result he’s had the pleasure of refereeing some of the best players in the world and not too long ago named his best XV.
When asked about two Irish players on the list, Brian O’Driscoll and Paul O’Connell, Owens had this to say,
Not only is he one of the greatest centres in the history of rugby union but he’s a fantastic man off the field as well. O’Driscoll has been a wonderful ambassador for the sport and a real leader. He always respected referees and set the right example for others to follow.
A legend of the game who conducted himself superbly, on and off the pitch.
Quite simply he was just an exceptional leader. I have been in charge of games where he pretty much carried his team, whether it was Munster or Ireland, almost on his back and onto victory.
Nigel Owens’ Dream XV
15. Israel Folau (Australia)
14. Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland)
12. Ma’a Nonu (New Zealand)
11. Shane Williams (Wales)
10. Dan Carter (New Zealand)
9. Agustin Pichot (Argentina)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)
2. John Smit (South Africa)
3. Phil Vickery (England)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
5. Paul O’Connell (Ireland)
6. Theirry Dusautoir (France)
7. Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)