Nigel Owens Names His Dream XV Of Players He Has Refereed
Latest posts by Jason Hennessy (see all)
- The Aki & Henshaw Bromance That Could Have Massive Lions Test Match Implications - June 25, 2021
- Gregor Townsend Lifts The Lid On The Lions’ Boozy Nights Out In The Spirit Of 1997 - June 25, 2021
- Jack Conan Has Been Tasked With Teaching The Lions An Irish Song – And It’s An Absolute Cracker - June 25, 2021
What a team.
Nigel Owens is the most capped referee in World Rugby history and has taken charge of some of the biggest games the sport has to offer. As a result he’s had the pleasure of refereeing some of the best players in the world and not too long ago named his best XV.
When asked about two Irish players on the list, Brian O’Driscoll and Paul O’Connell, Owens had this to say,
Not only is he one of the greatest centres in the history of rugby union but he’s a fantastic man off the field as well. O’Driscoll has been a wonderful ambassador for the sport and a real leader. He always respected referees and set the right example for others to follow.
A legend of the game who conducted himself superbly, on and off the pitch.
Quite simply he was just an exceptional leader. I have been in charge of games where he pretty much carried his team, whether it was Munster or Ireland, almost on his back and onto victory.
Nigel Owens’ Dream XV
15. Israel Folau (Australia)
14. Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland)
12. Ma’a Nonu (New Zealand)
11. Shane Williams (Wales)
10. Dan Carter (New Zealand)
9. Agustin Pichot (Argentina)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)
2. John Smit (South Africa)
3. Phil Vickery (England)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
5. Paul O’Connell (Ireland)
6. Theirry Dusautoir (France)
7. Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)